Apparently iPhones Can Randomly Explode

An iPhone can really burn a hole in your pocket, and I’m not just talking about the price. Someone in Thailand, Suwicha Auesomsaksakul, was using an iPhone 5 when, 30 seconds into a phone call, his two-month old iPhone got really hot and started smoking.

Suwicha smartly threw it onto the ground and watched as his iPhone “exploded four times like a firecracker.” A Thai news website posted a video of what remains of the iPhone 5. In the video you can see that the display separated from the chassis and the Home button is pretty messed up.

Though it’s surprising to hear of this happening, it’s apparently not the first time an iPhone has come close to spontaneously combusting. In 2011 an iPhone 4 reportedly started glowing red and sending out smoke signals. Last year, another iPhone of an unknown model apparently exploded in a man’s pocket.

These incidents aside, iPhones don’t usually randomly explode like that so I doubt this will turn people off of Apple, though I’m not sure how Suwicha will feel about Apple after his experience.

Kaylie lives in Ottawa and got her first Mac in 2007 and is now a fan for life.